Making Aotearoa New Zealand
the best place to raise children
in flourishing families
Family Works Central can support women being released from Arohata Prison, near Wellington, to settle back into the community after spending time in prison.
The Out of Gate programme, funded by the Department of Corrections, is available for women who have spent less than two years in prison. The programme sees Family Works social workers working with women before release, helping them to identify what they need in order to settle back into the community without re-offending. Once they’re released our community navigators continue to walk alongside them, providing support including:
- meeting the woman on release and supporting her to cope with the mixed emotions that come with being released
- addressing basic everyday needs, such as having ID, opening a bank account and registering at Work and Income
- supporting the woman to find long term accommodation
- supporting the woman, and her family, to reconnect
- linking the women to employment, education, health and other support agencies in the community.
It’s all about supporting the women to make positive and long-term changes in their lives.
Referrals for Family Works Central to offer the Out of Gate programme are made by the Department of Corrections.