Making Aotearoa New Zealand
the best place to raise children
in flourishing families
Dads’ rock! And being a good dad is probably the most important thing you’ll do in your entire life.
That doesn’t mean it’s easy, but the best thing is – you have a choice about the kind of dad you want to be.
Family Works Central’s Good Fathers programme has been designed especially for dads and dads-to-be. It’s a chance to find out how to build stronger bonds with your kids and to manage the challenges that come with being a dad.
The Good Fathers programme is run in a group which means you have the chance to hear from other dads, share ideas and experiences and learn some practical skills too. After all, often men don’t talk about their role as a dad or have the same informal supports that women have.
Each Good Fathers programme runs for between eight and 11 weeks and covers things like:
• reducing conflict and stress
• being actively involved in your kids’ lives
• setting boundaries and improving your children’s behaviour without anger or violence
• communicating with your children, their mum, family and whānau
• attitudes to parenting and being a dad
• encouraging your kids and bonding with them
• looking after your relationships
• gaining the skills and confidence to raise your children well
• recognising and acknowledging power and control issues.
Upcoming Good Fathers programmes
The Family Works’ Good Fathers programme is currently available in Hutt Valley and Wairarapa.
Date: No course being run this term
Date: No course is being run this term
For more information, or if you are looking for a similar service in another area please contact us on 0800 FAM WORKS.
View the Family Works parenting programme calendar for more information about upcoming courses. (Opens as a .pdf document)
Family Works Central’s parenting education and support is only made possible thanks to the support and generosity of our communities. Click here to make a donation to Family Works Central or call 0508 TO HELP (that’s 0508 86 4357).