Making Aotearoa New Zealand
the best place to raise children
in flourishing families
We all want to feel good about ourselves. But sometimes, especially when you’re trying to figure out who you are and where you fit in the world, it’s difficult to feel good.
Family Works Central’s What about the Girls group is a fun and relaxed group course that can help you improve how you feel about yourself and the world around you. It’s been designed for girls aged 12 to 16, and gives you the opportunity to talk with other teens about your experiences and feelings in a safe and non-judgemental environment. You’ll learn practical skills and confidence to build your self-esteem.
Each course runs over ten weeks (a two hour session each week). In the first session you’ll begin to get to know the others in the group and agree to make sure each member is heard, valued and respected. After all, we want this to be a relaxed, safe and fun place to be. You’ll also spend time decorating a journal that you can write or draw in as the course progresses and beyond.
Throughout the rest of the course you’ll cover topics including:
- keeping yourself safe – at parties, online and in relationships
- looking after your body and health
- feeling good about yourself; improving how you see yourself and becoming more confident
- having a voice, being heard and developing your personal boundaries
- developing healthy relationships, including respect and communication, with friends, partners, peers and family
- dealing with bullying and being hurt
- the hard stuff – drugs, alcohol and hurting yourself
- looking to the future, including how your decisions today will affect your future and planning a career.
Many girls tell us that at the end of the course they not only feel better about themselves and more confident in dealing with the world around them, but they also feel stronger and better able to support their friends.
At the end of the ten week course we’ll hold a celebration where you’ll be presented with a ‘What about the girls’ certificate. This is always a great occasion and we encourage you to invite family and friends along.
What about the girls is a free course that is available in Wellington and the Hutt Valley. Call us to find out when the next course is running. If you are looking for a similar service in another region please contact us to discuss your needs.
Family Works Central’s parenting education and support is only made possible thanks to the support and generosity of our communities. Click here to make a donation to Family Works Central or call 0508 TO HELP (that’s 0508 86 4357).