Presbyterian Support Central (PSC) has a long history of making a real, positive difference in people’s lives.
Presbyterian Support Central has been supporting people, regardless of age, background or religious belief, for more than 100 years.
The PSC story started in 1909 when Reverend Dr. James Gibb, Minister of St John’s Presbyterian Church in Wellington, initiated a project to care for orphaned and destitute children. This was at a time when a basic social welfare system was not in place in New Zealand.
Caring for orphaned and neglected children remained the principle work of the organisation until the early 1950s, when the emphasis shifted to focus on care of the elderly.
Today, PSC offers a broad mix of services and support to people of all ages. Aged care and services for older people are provided through Enliven, while social services for children, young people, parents, families and whānau are provided by Family Works.
Key dates in PSC’s history
- 1909: The organisation, then known as the Wellington Presbyterian Orphanage and Social Services Trust Board, was started by Rev. Dr. James Gibb.
- 1938: Presbyterian Support Central was incorporated under the Charitable Trusts Act 1957.
- 1951: PSC opened its first home for the elderly in Island Bay, Wellington.
- 1976: The Wellington Counselling Centre was opened.
- 1977: Abingdon Village in Whanganui was opened as ‘sheltered housing for the elderly’.
- 1983: The National Council of Presbyterian Support Services was formed to provide a cooperative forum for the seven autonomous regions – Northern, Central, East Coast, Upper South Island, South Canterbury, Otago and Southland.
- 1989: The last of Presbyterian Support Central’s children’s homes were closed.
- 2007: Services for children and families began being delivered under the Family Works name.
- 2008: Services for the elderly were renamed Enliven.